Social Media Policy
The City of Sheridan’s use of external social media web sites is provided as a public service. The City of Sheridan disclaims liability for ads, videos, promoted content or comments accessible from any external web page. The responsibility for external content or comments rests with the organizations or individuals providing them. Any inclusion of external content or comments does not imply endorsement by the City of Sheridan.
The content of City of Sheridan’s social media sites shall only pertain to City-sponsored or City-affiliated programs, services, and events. Content includes, but is not limited to, information, photographs, videos, and hyperlinks. All non-conforming posts will be removed.
The content of all city-maintained social media sites may be subject to public disclosure per Colorado's Open Records Act.
Posts, comments, images, or messages (both public and private) containing the following inappropriate forms of content shall not be permitted on city social media sites and are subject to removal and/or restriction by the city such as:
- Comments not topically related to the social media site or current thread;
- Obscene, profane, sexually explicit, or racist language;
- Potentially libelous statements;
- Personal attacks, threats, harassment, or insults;
- Language inciting violence;
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation or identification;
- Sexual content or links to sexual content;
- Posts or links to political campaigns; statements in support of or opposition to political campaigns, candidates, or ballot measures.
- Commercial product promotions or solicitations;
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of an individual, the public or public systems, including posting of a personal addresses, social security numbers, or telephone numbers;
- Comments that are fraudulent or deceptive and contain information that is intended to mislead or misinform page followers.