Victim's Assistance Unit
Victim Assistance Guarantee
The Victim's Assistance Unit is served by a coordinator, staff member,
and nine volunteers who give their time serving crime victims. The unit provides on-call service for crime victims 24 hours a day, seven days a week for crisis intervention needs. In addition, the program offers
referrals to support services and assistance through the court process.
If you are a victim of certain crimes in the State of Colorado, your right
to be informed and to participate in critical stages of the criminal justice process related to the crime is guaranteed by the Colorado Constitution. This page will assist you if you are a victim of a crime (in the City of Sheridan and State of Colorado) by providing you with some information that may be helpful to you during your time of need.
Cheryl Balusek &
4101 S. Federal Blvd.
Sheridan, CO 80110-5399
ACSO Jail: 720-874-3500
24 hours a day, 7 days a week
If the victim is deceased or incapacitated, these rights are still guaranteed to the victim's spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, significant other, or lawful representative.
Crimes Pertaining to Victim Rights
- Assault (any degree)
- Careless driving that results in the death of another person
- Child abuse or sexual exploitation of children
- Crimes against at-risk adults or at-risk juveniles
- Crimes for which the underlying foundation has been determined to be domestic violence
- Criminally negligent homicide
- Ethnic intimidation
- Failure to stop at the scene of an accident that results in the death of another person
- Murder (any degree)
- Retaliation against a victim or witness
- Sexual assault
- Sexual assault on a child or on a client by a psychotherapist
- Tampering with a victim or witness
- Unlawful sexual contact or indecent exposure
- Vehicular assault or homicide
Any criminal attempt, conspiracy, criminal solicitation, or accessory involving any of the crimes specified above is also covered by the Victim's Assistance Unit.