The City of Sheridan is located in the southwest portion of the Denver metro area. John McBroom came to this area as a wagon master with the Army in 1858 and first settled the area. He claimed land along the Platte River and Montana Creek (now called Bear Creek) and built a cabin. Others followed, including his brother, Isaac McBroom, and Swedish immigrant Peter Magnus, who arrived and began farming in 1859. Magnus introduced sugar beets to Colorado.
Platting & Incorporation
In 1873, Peter Magnus platted the first town and named it Petersburg, which became one of the principal towns south of Denver on the Santa Fe Trail. In 1887, Isaac McBroom laid out a six-block, L-shaped plat and named it Sheridan Junction.
An election for incorporation was held in early 1890 and the town, which included Petersburg and Sheridan Junction, was named Sheridan. In 1959, the status of Sheridan was changed from a town to a statutory city. In 2002, the City adopted a Home Rule Charter.
In 1887, Congress authorized the establishment of a military post near Denver. Lieutenant General Phil Sherman, of Civil War fame, selected a 640-acre parcel near the McBroom family and Petersburg. It was hoped that the fort would be called Fort Sheridan, but the decision was made to name the post Fort Logan for General John A. Logan. Fort Logan is now Fort Logan Mental Health Facility for the State of Colorado.
Sheridan is two square miles and has a long and colorful history. It is located within Arapahoe County and represents a diverse population of approximately 5,600 residents of various economic levels. There are five schools, two adult communities, and one assisted housing complex for elderly residents within the City. The City has a mixture of commercial, industrial, community, and residential facilities.
The most recent retail district is River Point at Sheridan. This is an exciting urban renewal project consisting of major retail stores, specialty shops, dining, and entertainment. It was built on land that was formerly a landfill. The project is located on 135 acres on the eastern side of the City.